U.S.-U.A.E. Business Council and Expo 2020 Dubai
The U.S.-U.A.E. Business Council has championed Expo 2020 Dubai since Dubai first announced its intention in 2011 to bid on Expo 2020. The Business Council, its Board of Directors, and its member companies have been and continue to be vocal supporters of this important project, having worked tirelessly to build awareness and garner support for the World Expo to be hosted in Dubai, which, following its year-long postponement, will run from October 1st 2021 to March 31st 2022.
Following the 2013 announcement that Dubai would be the 2020 host, the Business Council became Chair of the Expo 2020 U.S. Standing Committee, which interfaced with U.S. and U.A.E. government authorities on Expo 2020 and advocated for opportunities and partnerships between American and Emirati entities hoping to participate in the Expo. The Business Council helped disseminate timely information about Expo 2020 Dubai and associated commercial opportunities as well as created meaningful engagement opportunities between businesses and Expo leadership in the U.A.E. At the same time, the Business Council helped raise awareness of Expo 2020 and associated commercial opportunities in the United States by hosting a series of Expo 2020 roadshows.
In addition to its collaboration with Expo 2020 leadership, the Business Council worked closely with the U.S. government across two separate Administrations to support the establishment of a U.S. Pavilion at Expo 2020. In October of 2017, the U.S. Secretary of State formally signaled the U.S. government’s intent to participate at Expo 2020 Dubai.
As Expo 2020 Dubai approaches, the Business Council continues to work with its member companies, the U.S. Government, and the U.A.E. Government to maximize U.S.-U.A.E. partnerships and U.S. corporate participation at Expo 2020 Dubai and the U.S. Pavilion.
From L to R: Mr. Saud Al Nowais, Commercial Attaché, U.A.E. Embassy, Mr. Danny Sebright, President, U.S.-U.A.E. Business Council, and U.S. Secretary of State Michael Pompeo
In recent years, the Business Council organized or supported the following Expo-related events:
- Organized a webinar in June 2020 with the Meridian Center for the business, healthcare, and education community to learn about newly revised plans for the U.S. Pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai.
- Supported the U.S. Department of State’s March 2020 events in Dubai and Abu Dhabi to reveal to American companies plans for content and opportunities for partnership at the U.S. Pavilion at Expo 2020.
- Supported the U.S. Department of State’s July 2019 reception in Washington, D.C. with U.S. Secretary of State Secretary Michael Pompeo for the U.S. Pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai.
- Supported the U.S. Department of State’s March 2018 Expo 2020 Roadshow across several U.S. cities.
- Hosted a senior delegation from Expo 2020 Dubai for October 2017 roundtable luncheons with local business leaders in San Francisco, Silicon Valley, and Los Angeles.
- Hosted senior Expo 2020 Dubai officials for a May 2017 roundtable luncheon with local business leaders in New York City.