Organized every five years, the World Expo (formerly the World’s Fair) is a global destination for millions of people to share ideas, showcase innovation, encourage collaboration, and celebrate human ingenuity.
The six-month long event will be the first World Exposition to ever be held in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia (MEASA) region and is expected to draw 25 million visitors, the vast majority of whom will come from outside the U.A.E.
Pictured: a rendering of what the Expo site will look like.
The event’s theme is “Connecting Minds, Creating the Future,” and the three subthemes will each have a dedicated pavilion:
- Opportunity: Making meaningful contributions to global development.
- Mobility: Discovering new ways of moving goods and people.
- Sustainability: Exploring the potential for buildings to be self-sustaining in water and energy.
The mega-event will include corporate and country pavilions that feature interactive exhibits, live entertainment, cultural experiences, networking events and VIP receptions, and restaurants. The event’s official partners include Business Council members Accenture, Cisco, DP World, Emirates, Mastercard, and PepsiCo. Moreover, prominent U.S. companies such as Jacobs have played a leading role in building the Expo 2020 site.
Pictured: HH Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the U.A.E. Armed Forces; HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid, Vice President and Prime Minister of the U.A.E. and Ruler of Dubai; H.E. Reem Al Hashimy, Minister of State for International Cooperation and Director General of Expo 2020 Dubai and other U.A.E. leaders inaugurate Expo 2020 Dubai’s Al Wasl Plaza.
Thematic Focus Weeks at Expo 2020 Dubai
Expo 2020 Dubai thematic programming weeks include:
- Climate Focus
- Urban Development and Climate Focus
- Travel & Exploration Focus
- Sustainable Development Goals Focus (Last Mile Distribution, Livelihood & Enterprise Development, Women and Girls)
- Health and Wellness Focus
- Innovation Focus
- Agriculture and Livelihood Development Focus
- Women & Girls Focus
- Water Focus