The U.S.-U.A.E. Business Council championed Expo 2020 Dubai since Dubai first announced its intention in 2011 to bid on Expo 2020. The Business Council, its Board of Directors, and its member companies were vocal supporters of this important project, having worked tirelessly to build awareness and garner support for the World Expo to be hosted in Dubai. Following its year-long postponement, Expo 2020 Dubai ran from October 1st 2021 to March 31st 2022.
After the 2013 announcement that Dubai would be the 2020 host, the Business Council became Chair of the Expo 2020 U.S. Standing Committee, which interfaced with U.S. and U.A.E. government authorities on Expo 2020 and advocated for opportunities and partnerships between American and Emirati entities hoping to participate in the Expo. The Business Council helped disseminate timely information about Expo 2020 Dubai and associated commercial opportunities and created meaningful engagement opportunities between businesses and Expo leadership in the U.A.E. At the same time, the Business Council helped raise awareness of Expo 2020 and associated commercial opportunities in the United States by hosting a series of Expo 2020 roadshows.
In addition to its collaboration with Expo 2020 leadership, the Business Council worked closely with the U.S. government across two separate Administrations to support the establishment of a USA Pavilion at Expo 2020. In October of 2017, the U.S. Secretary of State formally signaled the U.S. government’s intent to participate at Expo 2020 Dubai.
During Expo 2020 Dubai , the U.S.-U.A.E. Business Council hosted 10 events at the U.S. Pavilion. The Council convened industry discussions corresponding with Expo theme weeks on the topics of water, education, space, mobility, and energy. It collaborated with the Israel Pavilion and the USA Pavilion to host a trilateral meeting and business discussion with Israel’s Minister of Energy, the U.A.E.’s Minister of Energy and Infrastructure, and the U.S. Chargé d’Affaires in Abu Dhabi. Moreover, it partnered with the Aerospace Industries Association (AIA) to welcome over 300 senior business and government leaders to the U.S. Pavilion for a reception at the biennial Dubai Airshow. Beyond these events at the U.S. Pavilion, the Business Council also hosted a networking session for “USA Pavilion @ Expo 2020 Fellows” to discuss business opportunities in the U.A.E. and guidance on growing their businesses.
In the leadup to Expo, the Business Council organized or supported the following Expo-related events:
- Supported the November 2020 U.S. Pavilion at Expo 2020 official handover ceremony in Dubai.
- Organized a webinar in June 2020 with the Meridian Center for the business, healthcare, and education community to learn about newly revised plans for the U.S. Pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai.
- Supported the U.S. Department of State’s March 2020 events in Dubai and Abu Dhabi to reveal to American companies plans for content and opportunities for partnership at the U.S. Pavilion at Expo 2020.
- Supported the U.S. Department of State’s July 2019 reception in Washington, D.C. with U.S. Secretary of State Secretary Michael Pompeo for the U.S. Pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai.
- Supported the U.S. Department of State’s March 2018 Expo 2020 Roadshow across several U.S. cities.
- Hosted a senior delegation from Expo 2020 Dubai for October 2017 roundtable luncheons with local business leaders in San Francisco, Silicon Valley, and Los Angeles.
- Hosted senior Expo 2020 Dubai officials for a May 2017 roundtable luncheon with local business leaders in New York City.